There is an entire world of dog treat options out on the market, but if you’re like me, your dogs are a part of the family. I wouldn’t want to eat food filled with artificial colorings and fillers, so I definitely don’t want to feed this to my precious pups! To help your dog avoid obesity, blood sugar, and other health problems (more on avoiding toxic treats here), whip up these easy, healthy dog treats that you can give them and they can enjoy guilt free.
Yield: 20 biscuits
What you’ll need:
- Baking sheet
- Cooking spray (or coconut oil)
- Large bowl
- 1 1/2 cups cooked sweet potato
- 3 Tbs. coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (check your ingredients, xylitol is toxic to dogs!)
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1/2 cup oats
- Preheat oven to 375F and lightly grease cookie sheet.
- Mash warm, cooked sweet potato with a fork and then add in coconut oil, mixing thoroughly.
- Add the flour, peanut butter, honey, and oats into the bowl. Mix with your hands to create the dough (should feel like Play-Doh).
- Roll into ball form. I make mine 1-2 inches in diameter- no skimping here! Haha. Feel free to adjust the size to your dog’s needs, but if you change the size you will need to watch them in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Should be firm to the touch, but still light orange in color. Bottoms should be dark.
If you liked this recipe, be sure to give it a “paws up!” You can subscribe or share this post all the way at the bottom or to the right of this post. Thank you 🙂